Simple Vegan French Toast
Write a review
- 1 heaping Tbsp chia seeds (whole or ground into a fine meal so they're undetectable)
- 1/2 Tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup (or sub honey if not vegan)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-5 slices bread (I went with a sturdy rustic wheat bread, but also tried it with whole wheat sandwich bread and it worked well both ways)
- Mix all ingredients except the bread in a large, shallow bowl. Place in the fridge to activate for 10-20 minutes.
- Preheat griddle to medium heat (~350 degrees F) and grease with 1 Tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil.
- Dip each slice of bread in the batter for about 20 seconds on each side. If your bread is dry, leave it in a little longer. If you're using sandwich bread, it should only need 25-30 seconds total to soak.
- Place on griddle and cook until golden brown on the underside. Carefully flip and cook until the other side is golden brown as well - 3-4 minutes.
- Top with desired toppings: I went with coconut whipped cream, strawberries and maple syrup.